Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Post Residency thoughts

Having just returned from my second residency at AIB I have mixed emotions. I knew the first day as I hung my work that it was not looking as substantial or polished as I would have liked. I honestly felt like much of it was inadequate. So sitting through days of critiques was difficult, because I agreed with most people, I needed a stronger presence in my work and content. Sometimes that's hard to hear over and over, but bottom line is I am in this program to learn, and I took it all in. I would have liked more clearly defined guidelines as to what work should look like when returning to a residency. I could have done many more larger prints with my photographs. However I felt like much of my work was early concepts and not really worthy of large glossy enlargements. I will admit I don't like the feeling of not being prepared, or appearing unorganized. However if I nailed it coming into the second semester I probably would not need the program. I was very happy to be part of a nice group of mostly photographers and we had some excellent crits. I was also very pleased to have Oliver get me on track and believe in my next semester's plan. I am working on a mentor in Los Angeles who is an amazing portrait photographer, I don't want to jinx it so I will post it when it happens. Stay Tuned for my adventures in Santa Fe...

No comments: